This is the totally cheating version of the classic dessert. This is the, assembly-shortened-schedule-Friday-before-spring-break version. Does it taste good? Um, yes. Am I mad that there is a good amount of leftover and that I will most certainly eat it all before I leave for the day? Sort of.
Instant vanilla pudidng, cool whip, homemade whipped cream, nilla wafers, and bananas. How could this NOT taste good?
Banana Cream Pudding: Serves 6-8
1 package instant vanilla pudding
2 cups milk
1 ½ bananas, thinly sliced
2 oz. cool whip
½ c. heavy cream
2 tbsp. powdered sugar
¼ tsp. vanilla
20 vanilla wafers
1. In a large bowl prepare pudding according to package directions.
(2 c. milk, whole packet of pudding mix, whisk speedily for 2 minutes and then let set for about 5).
2. In a medium bowl, begin whipping cream at medium-high speed until beginning to thicken.
3. Lower speed and add sugar and vanilla. Continue to beat until cream stands in soft peaks.
4. Slice bananas thinly.
5. Crush 15 cookies in a bowl using a wooden spoon.
6. Fold Cool Whip into pudding.
6. Layer in glass casserole dish or parfait dish (or glass bowl, or individual glasses) according to the following directions.
Bottom: 1/2 of the crushed cookies
1/2 of pudding mixture
1/2 of bananas
1/2 of whipped cream
rest of the crumbs
rest of pudding mixture
rest of bananas
rest of whipped wream
Top: Whole cookies
This is a great “make ahead” dessert, especially for summer or springtime. It can be made and stored in the fridge till you’re ready to eat! It’s cool and creamy and reminiscent of the 1950’s somehow. Not like I was alive then, but it makes me think of the 1950’s. Happy Weekend!