Last day of cooking in “Essentials of Cooking”. Tear. I had planned on Wednesday’s cookies and Thursday’s doughnuts, but Friday was a wild card. My plan was to come up with something fab and food shop for it yesterday. It was 99 degrees yesterday and I just didn’t want to leave my nice air-conditioned classroom. So instead, I hunted!
I found two boxes of Rice Krispies, a few bags of white chocolate chips, craisins and LOTS of marshmallows. Hmmm… got it!
This is just a dressed up Rice Krispie Treat, obviously. When I was hunting around the Internet to help me with the recipe writing, I found a shop in New York that’s all Rice Krispie treats, all the time! They make s’mores versions, nutella versions, and whole CAKES. Maybe these easy treats will be the next cupcake?
White Chocolate Cranberry Crispys
2 tbsp. butter
20 large marshmallows
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 c. Rice Krispies cereal
1/2 c. white chocolate chips
1/2 c. dried cranberries
1. Melt butter and marshmallows over medium low heat and stir until smooth.
2. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Stir.
3. In large bowl, combine cereal, cranberries, and white chocolate chips.
4. Stir mixture into butter/marshmallow mixture until evenly distributed. Work quickly as the mixture wants to seize up on you.
5. Pour quickly into an 8 x 8 inch square baking pan.
6. Moisten hands and lightly press mixture evenly into pan (if you press down too hard it will be dense).
7. Set aside to cool.
8. Cut into nine squares and serve.
So next week I will be proctoring finals and NOT doing any classroom cooking, but last night I made dark chocolate hazelnut biscotti, tonite I’ll attempt to grill some pizzas (or Za, as my husband once tried to play against me in scrabble) and Sunday I will be making a pesto pasta salad and a family favorite— Lemon Lush. Let the cooking continue!