Let’s discuss the rule of 80 -20. This rule says that 80% of the time, you eat what you know is best for your body. The other 20% of the time, you can eat what tastes good. My students always come up to me and say, “Mrs. B, have you tried the new coffee moo-lata double cream chocolate blah blah at Dunkin?” I say, “no, but I’m sure it’s ridiculous”. If you just let go, there is no shortage of crazy amazing food out there. The thing is, we want to stay “tight” and we want to feel good.
Except on holidays. They are the 20% when you can let loose a bit. Is the Super Bowl a holiday? When it comes to food, yes. I’ve read magazines before that say if you’re going to an event where there is sure to be naughty food, bring something guilt-free so you know there is a “safe” dish. But seriously, who wants to get a reputation for bringing the health food? Not I. I’ll bring the sliders. Props to Becky who brought these sliders to the annual 4th of July party last year; they stole the show.
I made these on Sunday morning before church and my plan was to keep them in the fridge until Tuesday’s lunch at my girlfriend’s house. Husband got to sample a slider. He says, “what are you doing with the rest?” I say, “bringing them to Susan’s on Tuesday”. He says, “but I can’t go to Susan’s on Tuesday”. Poor guy. They’re really, really, delicious. They taste like fast food. The cheese is cooked into the burger so that every bite is perfectly proportioned heaven. If you’re a big ketchup fan, throw some on, but I think simplicity is key here.
I don’t generally buy packaged mixes. This was an exception, as the soup mix is integral in flavoring the meat. If you really don’t want to do a soup mix then use onion powder, dehydrated onion and salt. Also, this is easy to double! To make 24, you’d cook the meat in a 9×12 pan and double every ingredient. Lastly, If you can’t find King’s Hawaiian bread then use potato rolls, but square is best so seek out that shape.
Super Bowl Sliders
1 lb ground beef – 85/15
2 tbsp. Lipton onion soup mix
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 tbsp. light or low-fat mayo
12 King’s Hawaiian Sweet Rolls
1/3 c. bread and butter pickles, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Mix beef, soup mix, cheese and mayo in a large bowl until combined.
3. Line an 8×8 baking pan with foil and spray foil with nonstick spray.
4. Press meat into pan and bake for 15 minutes.
5. Open rolls and place chopped pickles on the bottom roll.
6. Drain fat from pan and slice meat into 12 squares.
7. Place meat on buns and replace top bun. Press to close.
8. Serve and make your friends happy.