My mother-in-law was cleaning out her basement and found a Pillsbury Bake-off magazine from 1964! She passed it to me and it turns out there’s nothing new under the sun. With several dog-eared recipes awaiting me this cookie sounded incredible and I was happy to give it a try.
I love macaroons. If I’m hungry, I’ll pop the whole thing in my mouth. If I’m not, I can’t resist nibbling around the crunchy, chewy edges and then I usually throw out the soft middle. Sorry if this sounds weird, but I’m trying to explain why I love these cookies so much! Macaroons usually contain only egg whites, sugar, coconut and vanilla. For these cookies you use the whole egg, as well as flour, a bit of melted butter, and plenty of dark chocolate. The end result is a cookie that spreads (whereas traditional macaroons do not) and becomes crunchy-chewy all over instead of just the edges. I used italics there to convey my excitement. I’m very excited.
Very very easy to make, they come together quickly and are sure to please kids and adults alike. Like macaroons, but different enough to have a different, albeit strange, name. Fun to say, though!
Makes about 35 cookies
1/8 tsp. salt
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. flour
1 tbsp. melted butter
2 c. sweetened flaked coconut
1 c. bittersweet chocolate chips, roughly chopped
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Beat eggs and salt with paddle attachment (or regular beaters of hand held mixer) for several minutes or until foamy.
2. Add sugar in a thin steady stream and beat on medium speed until pale in color and airy in texture, about 8 minutes.
3. Fold flour and butter into mixture gently with a rubber spatula.
4. Add coconut, chocolate and vanilla and stir to combine.
5. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat liner. Drop mixture in heaping teaspoon amounts, spacing two inches from each other and the edges of the pan.
6. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown around the edges and set in the middle.
7. Cool completely on pan and store airtight container at room temperature. Cookies will keep for several days.