I’m a drumstick newbie! There’s definitely something very feral about gnawing on drumsticks, I’m not gonna lie. Last week I randomly looked at the ingredient list on the back of purchased BBQ sauce. First ingredient (what’s listed first is what there is most of)? High Fructose Corn Syrup. I looked online and threw together one from the Food Network site. It was still full of sugar and overly sweet for my taste – not really a fan. So when I stumbled across this recipe in my Clean Eating mag, I was excited to give it a try. I liked that there were few ingredients and except for the can of peppers (I found them in the “International” aisle near other Mexican staples), I had everything on hand.
In trying to buy mostly organic meat, it’s smart to buy cuts you’re not used to. A huge, 5 lb bag of organic drumsticks was a mere 10 dollars and could feed us at least two dinners. I served these up when my mom and father-in-law popped through for a weeknight meal and we all LOVED the flavor. The smokey chipotle had the perfect kick and when paired with the sweetness from the honey and the ketchup it was just so right. The kids liked it less but what do they know? I’m going to make this sauce many more times (think crockpot pork or chicken) – love it! I ate the leftovers cold, while leaning over the kitchen sink, and they still hit the spot.
Clean BBQ Oven-Roasted Drumsticks
Adapted From Clean Eating
1 c. ketchup (Woodstock makes a great one)
3 tbsp. finely chopped chipotle chili in adobo sauce
3 tbsp. honey
2 tsp. cumin
3 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
4 1/2 – 5 lb. chicken drumsticks, skin removed
Kosher Salt and Pepper
1. Whisk ketchup, chiles, honey, cumin, and garlic until combined.
2. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 24 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
4. Arrange chicken on pan, coating chicken with any remaining sauce. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper.
5. Roast for 35-40 minutes or until chicken registers 160 degrees and when pierced, juices run clear.