Quick, easy, HEALTHY dinnerÂ tonight. I feel like what sets dinner apart from the other meals is that it should be warm. It’s okay if it’s warm eggs or pancakes, its the temperature that says “dinner”.
Heading into a weekend of eating, it was nice to have such a light dinner that still seemed indulgent. Have you ever heard thatÂ ParmesanÂ is a “healthier” cheese? Not true. It’s just that it packs a punch, so a little goes a long way in terms of flavor. That’s how feta cheese is. It’s so kicky that you don’t need so much. Feta’s not my fave when it’s cold, but have you ever eaten it warm? Whole ‘nother animal. By throwing this concoction back in the oven the feta melts down and blends with the roasty veggies and the smooth hummus.
In terms of health, this dish has it all. Veggies (if you don’t like a vegetable, try roasting it – doesn’t matter what it is, it tastes fab when roasted), lean protein (chickpeas, chicken), whole grains (pita) and Â healthy fat (olive oil, tahini). Serve with a salad and you’ve got yourself a low calorie, tasty, and satisfying din din. Oh! You could also serve this as a snickity-snack for your super bowl parties. Some people may want to throw your healthy food on the floor, but others will be happy that there is a low-cal option to nosh.
Roasted Veggie, Hummus, and Feta Pitas
2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and chopped
1 medium eggplant, sliced
1 pint cherry tomatoes
3-4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp. kosher or sea salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 package Thomas’ Sahara Whole Wheat Mini Pita Pockets, ends cut off
1 c. hummus
1/2 c. feta cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large cookie sheet with nonstick spray.
2. Arrange eggplant slices and tomatoes evenly across the sheet, laying flat. Drizzle or brush olive oil across veggies and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
3. Roast for approximately 25-30 minutes or until eggplant is golden and tomatoes have burst and are starting to brown. Â When you remove veggies from the oven, reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.
4. Spread each pita with hummus and divide cheese evenly between them.
6. Divide chicken between pitas.
7. Divide eggplant and tomatoes between pitas.
8. Arrange all 8 pitas on cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for approximately 5-8 minutes or until warmed through and toasty. Serve.