You can put pumpkin in anything (just ask Pinterest), but for me the classic pumpkin pie reigns supreme. This has nothing to do with the fact that itâ€™s the â€œhealthiestâ€ of the pies â€“ thatâ€™s just a lucky break. Now I can go on about the fiber, vitamin A and vitamin C this dessert provides but thereâ€™s no getting around the crust. Great news â€“ we donâ€™t need it!
This (now gluten-free) dessert bakes in pretty white ramekins and, once topped with just a bit of whipped cream, actually presents more elegantly than any pie. No one will think youâ€™re serving a â€œhealthyâ€ dessert; that can be our little secret. If youâ€™re hosting the holiday this year, feel free to make these up a day ahead (I like my pumpkin pie chilled). If not, offer to bring dessert â€“ thus allowing you to happily and guiltlessly nosh while you accept praise from your adoring public.
Molasses Spice Pumpkin (Crustless) Pies
Makes 8, 4-in ramekins
Â½ c. sugar
Â½ tsp. salt
1 Â½ tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ground ginger
Â½ tsp. ground cloves
1 egg white
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
1 tbsp. molasses
1 (12 oz) can fat free evaporated milk
1/3 c. heavy whipping cream
1 tbsp. sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves together until blended.
3. In a larger mixing bowl, whisk egg and egg white until blended. Add pumpkin and molasses and whisk to combine.
4. Add dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
5. Add evaporated milk and whisk gently to combine. Scrape mixture into a large liquid measuring cup (or use ladle) and divide mixture evenly between 8 (ungreased) 4 inch ramekins.
6. Place ramekins in a 9×13 inch pan (place remaining two in an 8×8 inch pan) and pour water into pans until it comes half way up the outside of each ramekin.
7. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove and place on a wire rack and cool for 1 hour (unless serving warm). Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
8. To make optional topping, place cream and sugar in a mixing bowl and using electric mixer with whisk attachment, beat to soft peaks. Place a dollop of cream on each pie. Serve immediately.