When I saw the recipeÂ in an Eating Well mag, I knew I had to give it ago. I switched up some amounts, the serving size, and the thickening agent (to make it gluten free) and can I just say – twenty minute comfort food at its best.Â
I come from meatball-making people, so I have never bought frozen meatballs before. Turns out there are some pretty good options. I bought Nature’s Promise (Giant’s “natural” line) that also happened to be GF – they didn’t advertise it this way but the ingredients showed they used rice flour instead of wheat. Five minutes in the microwave and we were ready to go.
The rest came together in literally twenty minutes. Mozzarella cheese, frozen spinach, and milk are all staples in my house, and I also like to keep at least one jar of marinara for recipes like this. From now on I’m adding frozen meatballs to my list, or if I make a big batch I will freeze a dinners’ worth specifically with this meal in mind. A great way to get more greens into your family, you could serve this straight up or over some whole wheat penne.
Skillet Meatball and Spinach Parmesan
16 oz. frozen meatballs (GF if necessary)
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 white or yellow onion, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
16 oz. frozen cut leaf spinach
1 tbsp. corn starch
1 c. lowfat milk
1/4 tsp. ground pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 1/2 c. prepared marinara sauce
6 oz. thinly sliced fresh mozzarella
Parmesan cheese, optional
1. Prepare meatballs as written on package directions (to heat through). Set aside.
2. Heat olive oil over medium heat in large ovenproof skillet.
3. Add onion and garlic; saute, stirring frequently, about 8 minutes or until softened.
4. Add spinach and cook, stirring occasionally, until thawed. Combine cornstarch and milk in measuring cup.
5. Add cornstarch and milk and cook, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes or until spinach is thickened and creamy.
6. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg and stir to combine.
7. Nestle meatballs into spinach mixture and pour sauce on top. Add cheese, spaced evenly. Add parmesan if desired (as much as you like).
8. Set oven to broil and place an oven rack in top third of oven. Place pan in oven and broil until cheese is browning and bubbly, watching carefully (should take about five minutes). Serve.