We all have a limit to what level of “homemade” we will attempt. For one of my best friends, cookies are only made from tubes. For me, it’s pastry. Pie crust, yes (with my easy oil crust), but no puff pastry, no phyllo. I always keep a box of puff pastry in my freezer, and trust, I’m always glad I have it.
These come together in no time, are super simple to make, and man do you feel good when they come out of the oven. So good. Not much else to say, but I’ll pretend you’re my friend, calling before making the recipe. “Thaw the pastry, wrapped in a towel, for about 30 minutes on the counter, but work with it while it’s still cool. Make sure to lightly flour your counter. Dunk your spatula in flour if necessary. Make sure you chop your apple nice and fine – it will be easier later.”
That’s it! Oh and make this with your kids, if you have them. It’s sort of like an arts and craft project.
Easy Apple Turnovers
Zest of 1 orange
2 tbsp. freshly squeezed orange juice
1 large Macintosh apple, peeled, cored, finely chopped
2 tbsp. dried cranberries or cherries
1 tbsp. sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
1 heaping tsp. flour
a big shake of cinnamon (about 1/8 tsp)
1/2 package frozen puff pastry (1 sheet), thawed
1 egg beaten with a splash of water, for egg wash
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, combine apple, orange zest, orange juice, cranberries/cherries, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and mix until combined.
3. Flour a board and lightly roll pastry into a smooth, 14 inch square.Â Cut into four even squares.
4. Prepare egg wash.
5. Lay out squares and using a brush (or your fingers), brush egg wash around the four edges of each square.Â
6. Put apple mixture on half of each square. Fold the pastry diagonally over the apple mixture and seal by pressing the edges of the pastry with the tines of a fork.
7. Line a sheet with parchment or silpat and place turnovers on the sheet. Brush the tops with remaining egg wash and then sprinkle with sugar.
8. Make two small slits in the top of each turnover to let the steam escape. If baking later, refrigerate, covered, until ready. Bake for 20 minutes.Â
9. Serve hot with ice cream.