This blueberry crumble pie came as a sweet, sweet surprise this summer. Typically I don’t make fruit pies because when I buy the precious, expensive organic berries at the WCGM I can’t bear to bake them – they’re fresh and perfect as is. This pie used frozen berries and we always have a few bags of Costco’s organic blueberries in the freezer. Pie is a bit old fashioned and if you know anything about me it’s that I think I may have been born in the wrong century.
I made this to bring to a friend’s house with homemade cinnamon ice cream (which I’ll post next week) and it got great reviews. Currently there are two leftover pieces sitting on my counter and I plan to force-feed it to my kids for “lunch dessert” in a barely disguised effort to not eat four slices in 24 hours.
Blueberry Crumble Pie
Makes 8 servings
1 c. all purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 1/2 tbsp. ice water
1/2 c. sugar
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. lemon zest
5 c. fresh or frozen (thawed) blueberries
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
3/4 c. all purpose flour
3 tbsp. brown sugar
3 tbsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
5 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. To make crust, whisk flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk oil and water together in a liquid measuring cup and add all at once to flour mixture. Stir until it comes together into a ball.
- Place ball between two sheets of waxed paper and roll to 15 inch circle. Peel off top layer and position dough, dough side down, over 9 inch pie plate. Remove remaining paper and flute edges of pie dough. Place parchment or foil in middle of pie plate and add pie weights or dried beans. Bake for 20 minutes.
- In large mixing bowl, whisk sugar, cornstarch, and lemon zest. Add berries and gently toss to mix. Add lemon juice over top of berries.
- To make crumble, mix all ingredients together in a small bowl until combined.
- When crust is done, remove weights and add filling. Add crumble, mostly mounded in center.
- Bake 30 minutes. Place foil or crust shield around edges if browning, and place foil over crumble once brown. Continue to bake another 30 minutes or until filling is bubbling. Remove and let cool at least 1 hour before serving.