Tough coming up with a title here because what I think of as healthy might not be what you think of as healthy. 2/3 c. coconut oil might seem “high in fat” but I like to cook with lots of fats when the fats are healthy. These are naturally dairy free as well as gluten free, with no refined sugar and obviously no white flour. While it works on my husbands more strict diet, these are the brownies my kids should be eating (and myself), even though they have no restrictions.
These took no time at all to make – honestly, weirdly easy – but I just have one question for Giada when I meet her. Why make in a skillet? I understand frittata and recipes that start with a saute and finish in the oven but that’s not the case here. Maybe she figures some people don’t have 8×8 glass baking dishes? If you’d rather make it in that, do it, I see no benefit from the skillet. I tweaked this from her original recipe, making it in a 10 inch rather than an 8 inch skillet, and adding salt and espresso powder, just so you know why I’m not siting her.
Lastly, if you ever see “oven safe skillet” in a recipe, know that probably any skillet you have is oven safe. The only thing that would make it not oven safe would be a wooden handle. So now you know.
Easy, Healthier Skillet Brownies
Makes 1 10 inch skillet
2/3 c. refined coconut oil, melted
1 c. coconut sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
2/3 c. almond flour
2/3 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. instant espresso powder
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
3/4 c. Ghirardelli Bittersweet chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Whisk oil and sugar in medium bowl. Add vanilla and whisk.
- Add eggs and yolk, whisk to combine.
- Add almond flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, espresso powder, and salt and whisk to combine.
- Add 1/2 c. chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Add batter to nonstick, 10 inch skillet and spread into edges. Top with remaining chocolate chips (1/4 c.).
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 20 minutes, cut into squares or wedges and serve.