Reworked a saved Pinterest recipe here – adding kale, upping the mushrooms and a few other swaps. It’s technically paleo and also works for Rich’s diet. Thing is, though, by the time he got home we’d eaten it all and he had to eat leftovers. Sitting in bed last night I told him that we made really great meatballs and they worked on his diet but sorry we ate them all. I thought he would be cute about it but he wasn’t, he was super annoyed. Makes sense, I suppose; the meatballs were really good.
My mom happened to be over when the dish was ready, as was my neighbor. The three of us generally enjoy all food and only eat paleo by accident. Two (technically six) thumbs up from all parties. It was one of those busy nights when I had the kids dinner plates ready but had to run upstairs while they ate; I didn’t hear a single complaint (except Tessa shouting to me that she didn’t like mushrooms and then Tessa yelling up five minutes later that she ate all her mushrooms). Works on Rich’s diet, is tasty enough for the rest of us, and a one pan dinner? Win. Next time I’ll make some rice or egg noodles to put it over (to keep paleo, use cauliflower rice).
Turkey Meatballs in Creamy Kale and Mushrooms
1 lb. ground turkey or chicken
zest of 1 lemon
1 c. finely diced white onion
4 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1 tbsp. fresh rosemary, minced
1 1/4 tsp. kosher or sea salt
2 1/2 tbsp. olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 c. finely sliced mushrooms
2 c. finely chopped kale
juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 c. fullfat coconut milk
1 c. chicken broth
1/2 tsp. kosher salt or sea salt
1 tbsp. tapioca flour/starch
1 tbsp. water
1/4 c. chopped fresh parsley
- Combine turkey through salt in a medium mixing bowl, adding 1 tbsp. of the olive oil. Mix together well and shape into 1 1/2 in. balls.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 tbsp. olive oil in nonstick skillet over medium heat and add meatballs. Brown on two sides and remove to plate.
- Add another tbsp. of olive oil (if using chicken or turkey breast) and add garlic and mushrooms. Turn heat to high and cook mushrooms until liquid is released and evaporates, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add kale, lemon juice, coconut milk, chicken broth and salt and let simmer five minutes.
- Stir tapioca and water in a small bowl and add to pan. Stir until slightly thickened, a minute or two.
- Return meatballs to pan by nestling into mixture. Let cook about five minutes or until warmed through. Serve, over rice if desired, with parsley on top.